Who's doing all this sailing?

It's Vince and Malcolm

Click to read more about Vince Click to read more about Malcolm


For charity of course

Click to find out more about Martin House

Click to find out more about the RNLI

Home Voyage Map Sponsors

 Peterhead to Whitehills-9th June 2007

I Make ready for sea, put the engine on and depart Peterhead at 12.00hrs. The wind is still F4 from the north so I raise the main and motor sail. I am heading for Rattray Head in hazy sunshine and should be able to sail once past the head. At 13.30hrs I am approaching Rattray Head and the wind is backing, which is typical. I pray I will have some decent wind at some stage on this voyage. I will  be expecting the prevailing South Westerly wind to cause me to beat down the west coast depending on which route I take.

Further north from Rattray Head I pass close to The Hawes and Cairnbulg Briggs where a fishing trawler has run aground on the reef between the mainland and the light. I wonder what happened there?

  By 15.00hrs the mist closes down reducing visibility, and the wind has backed, so I leave the engine on. I also turned the duel log and depth on just to check if it was working again, the log was now working but still no depth. I also have another problem, the tiller pilot keeps getting lost, I wasn't aware that fog caused them to loose their way! I will be passing the Rosehearty Firing and Bombing Range soon, it's not active so I will be able to pass through without any problem. I will also be passing Fraserburgh, with no chance to check my position. The chimney and arial masts are not visible in the dense mist/fog. By 18.00hrs I am hungry and decide to cook dinner, Pasta is the order of the day, quick and easy and only one pan. I add some ham to the mixture to add some more flavour, and follow with rice pudding, cold and straight from the tin. All the time I am looking and listening through the fog for any sounds that might be another vessel. By 19.00hrs I decide to close the land to see if I can see where I am. The GPS indicates that I am near to the waypoint off Knock Head. There are pot buoys around so I will have to keep a sharp lookout. I make out Banff as the coast comes into view and proceed along the coast towards my destination. By 20.30hrs and a lot of pot dodging I am approaching Whitehills. I and make my way through the outer harbour where Golden Otter is tied up and into the inner Harbour/Marina where I berth on a pontoon finger. With the boat made secure I chat to the owner of a Hallberg Rassay 34 moored opposite. David Finley the harbour master comes down to the pontoon to his own boat and greets me when he is told I had just arrived. I didn't see you arrive he said but welcome anyway and you are OK to stay where you are. I said I couldn't see any thing from near the waypoint so I came in very slow, that's when David told me that the waypoint is about two miles off so its no wonder I was confused. I get the gate and shower codes from him, and head off to the facilities block across the road for a shower and shave. There is a place to dry out at Whitehills, so I will take the opportunity to inspect the depth transducer, just in case I epoxy coated or antifouled the face when I was doing the hull. There was nothing on the face so I guess there is another fault somewhere.

I was three days in Whitehills, and enjoyed the break, the locals are very friendly and I found them very generous too. I was given donations for the hospice amounting to 81. 00. 2.00 of which came from Cathy who was parked in the middle of the road by the shop, when I said its not often you can park in the middle of the road she said she wasn't a very good driver, and asked what I was doing in Whitehills. When I told her about the charity sail around the UK she said what a good cause opened her purse and gave me the two pounds. I was so touched by her gesture I walked back to the harbour with tears in my eyes. Who said the Scots were mean. 


Links www.whitehillsharbour.co.uk