Who's doing all this sailing?

It's Vince and Malcolm

Click to read more about Vince Click to read more about Malcolm


For charity of course

Click to find out more about Martin House

Click to find out more about the RNLI

Voyage Map Sponsors Home

Holyhead to Fishguard 3rd July 2007

I spent the next  few days with Linda, visiting her aunts Megan and Olwen who both live in Holyhead, Linda's cousin Alan Morgan also managed to drive across from old Colwyn, as he was free for the week end. I also had time to buy and fit some new sail battens, as I had lost mine during the F8, when I couldn't get the main sail down, I also changed the fuel filler pipe because I thought it was leaking, but discovered there was a leak on the filler neck of the tank, which I temporarily repaired with some filler.

Malcolm was due to drive over from Wetherby on Monday, together with Tony Massarella, my accountant who was going to join me for the rest of the week, and hopefully sail as far as possible south before returning to Otley nr Leeds for work next Monday. The Marina generously allowed me to stay free of charge, which added more money to the pot for Martin House, and I enjoyed their excellent hospitality and facilities during my stay. Holyhead was the best marina I had visited so far and would take a lot of beating, even down to the yard dog Murphy. (yard dog due to having only three feet)

We left Holyhead at 12:00 on the 3rd July after our farwells, and motor sailed out of the harbour, and into some heavy seas. The wind was F4 over the tide which was causing the chop, and we kept the engine on to help us to round North and  South Stack lights, before setting a course for Bardsey Island. Bardsey is at the other side of Caernarfon Bay about 35 miles away, which is where we alter course for Pwllheli.

We had passed Bardsey Island by 20:00, and made the decision to carry on to Fishguard, missing out Pwllheli as the wind was good and we felt we could have a god sail if we carried on albeit very wet because it was now raining heavily.

The wind increased to F5\6 but Anita was coping very well with the sails reefed and we were kept warm and safe in full oilies, life jackets, and safety lines, although I had torn the crutch on my pants so I had a wet bum. the wind did gust to 28 kn a few times but we were  fairly close hauled and had no problems holding out course. We were hand steering, not trusting the tiller pilot as it was still loosing itself and going off course. During one of Tony's turns at the helm I dozed off for a few minutes, which was long enough to refresh me. Due to the motion of the boat I didn't plot our course on the paper chart or write up the log, but if the GPS failed I had another two sets which I could use, and the Garmin hadn't let me down in the last seven years.  

It was 05:30, Wednesday 04th July when we entered Fishguard Harbour. we were head to wind and with the sails dropped we motored to where there were spare buoys, and moored up. Engine off, Oilies off, kettle on, pump bilges, grease stuffing gland, and make cuppa soup, then in our pits to get some well earned sleep.

When we arose, we decided to move to a more sheltered mooring in the bay to the SE of the harbour, where there were some fishing boats, and another yacht moored. We cooked and had lunch. The weather forecast was for F8 winds later today so we settled down for the day and just relaxed. I had to get my pants dry so I tied them securely to rigging where they flew like a wind sock.


A few Dolphins came into the bay during the day which helped to pass the time, although we saw lots of Dolphins during the trip across Cardigan bay, which was exiting, because they just appeared close to the boat as they burst from the middle of the waves. Tony said he really enjoyed the long sail which was fast and exhilarating, but I thought it was a trial by the elements for him, having never sailed in such a small yacht before, so I think we should stay put until the weather is a lot better, so we can enjoy the next part of the voyage to Milford Haven.