Who's doing all this sailing?

It's Vince and Malcolm

Click to read more about Vince Click to read more about Malcolm


For charity of course

Click to find out more about Martin House

Click to find out more about the RNLI

Voyage Map Sponsors Home

St Ives Bay to Falmouth 14th July 2007      

 I was awake at 04:00, so I thought I  had better check my position, I went on into the cockpit to find I hadn't moved, so I had a quick scan round and was surprised to see the other yacht had gone, it wasn't in sight anywhere close by. There were two ships anchored at the other side of the bay, and I suspect they're sheltering from the F8/9 gales that were forecast further out to sea for the previous day. I rechecked the tide tables and decided that if the weather was OK, I could leave at 06:00 which would see me clear Lands end, and decided to leave at that time. I had another hours sleep and prepared to leave. I started the engine, but before I was ready to leave the engine overheating alarm sounded. It took me about 15 minuets to remove the impeller cover to check the impeller, which was OK, so I just added grease and replaced the cover, started the engine and waited!! The silence of the buzzer was encouraging, problem solved for the time being, but I must get another couple of spare impellers as soon as possible. 

I left St Ives Bay at 06:30, and headed out of the bay, and into the swell of the Atlantic in the Celtic Sea. The wind was F4, and although I was able to sail, I kept the engine ticking over in forward gear, because it never overheated once it had been running a while, and I was afraid that if I hadn't, and needed engine during the voyage, the problem might return, better safe than sorry.  I was off Pendene at 08:30, and off Cape Cornwall at 09:15, where the chop was confused, with the waves three to four feet high.  A wave from the bow and another from the stern, met just abaft the beam, collided, and joined me in the cockpit, soaking me through, and loading the cockpit sole with several gallons of sea water. I was glad I had spent the time to make a new cockpit sole, which I fixed five inches above the original making Anita's cockpit self draining. The excess water soon disappeared back to where it came. I  laughed dried my head and face, cleared my eyes, and headed for the Longships Lighthouse. I decided to pass outside the light as the sea state through the inner passage was very rough, with the waves hitting the shore, and exploding upwards, reaching up as far as the top of the cliffs at times.

 Going outside the Longships wouldn't be to much of a disadvantage. My passage plan was to arrive at Lizard Point  at HW Dover plus three hours, and with the Wind now F4/5 pushing me along I was ahead of schedule. I was exited at my progress through the rough sea, and Anita seemed to be in her element, I always feel safe while sailing the Contessa 26. As always I am wearing my Lifejacket, with the Lifeline clipped on to the new secure point, low in the cockpit. The life raft on board which was generously sponsored by Norwest Marine of Liverpool helps too.

10:20 and I am round The Longships Light, and cant resist taking a couple of pictures, then I set a course 133deg True for the Runnel Stone South Cardinal, about three and a half miles away. I am pushing the tide, but still making good headway, and in front of schedule. The best part is I am really enjoying myself, and revelling in the challenge. As I pass the Runnel Stone cardinal I set an new course, 103 deg T for a waypoint across Mounts Bay and half a mile south of Lizard. With the log not working, the GPS gives the boat speed over the ground averaging 5kn, which is brilliant for a small boat, and my arrival off the Lizard at 14:15 confirms the electronics. I didn't doubt it for a minute!! I set the next waypoint off the Manacles East Cardinal buoy, course 45deg T. about 8.5 miles. It takes me just one hour twenty minuets to arrive off the manacles cardinal, and I am glad its there because the rocks look very menacing from here.

Another change of course straight for the Falmouth Harbour entrance, 355deg T. five miles. 16:52 and I pass ahead of a really nice yacht, and take the chance of a photograph as seen below. as I pass between Black Rock and Pendennis Point I alter course  to 336deg T, which will take me close to the Governor East Cardinal, through the shallower water, and across to the entrance of the Penryn River and the inner harbour. On entering the Inner Harbour, I make my way through the small craft moorings, where I am hailed by a couple on a moored yacht to ask if I had been into Ardfern. with the reply being that I had, they told me that there had been an article in the Ardfern news letter about my circumnavigation, and that I had visited Ardfern Marina, which I thought was interesting, and I did get a discount there, which added to the funds for Martin House.

I continued up the Penryn River to Falmouth Marina where I re-fuelled the boat before moving from the fuel jetty to the allocated visitor berth. I then took the opportunity to use the excellent facilities to freshen up with a good shower and shave, before returning to the boat, and preparing myself a good meal, which I had with a glass of wine or two. I am pleased with the days sail just under 57 miles in just over twelve hours, which is about 4.7 kn over the ground. My next job is to source some spare genuine Yanmar impellers, which I will think about tomorrow.